It’s been a stormy year here in the United States! Even states that typically get more sunshine, like California, were hit with record-breaking levels of precipitation last year.
With extreme weather becoming more common, your outdoor cushions and cushion covers need to be built for the outdoors and everything that comes with it. Otherwise, you’ll be replacing your patio cushions year after year due to mold and mildew from precipitation and naturally occurring moisture.
Waterproof outdoor cushions and cushion covers are an incredible, long-lasting solution.
They will keep your cushions in great condition throughout the year, whether they’re exposed to heavy rainfall, harsh sunlight, muddy dogs, melting popsicles, or wet swimsuits. You can count on waterproof cushions to hold up against the elements and stay looking their best so that you can enjoy them for many years to come.
Getting Started with Waterproof Outdoor Cushions
Waterproof outdoor cushions are a wonderful choice for wet climates, uncovered patios, and poolside furniture. They are made from more weatherproof and fade and mildew-resistant fabrics, so they last longer than other types of outdoor cushions and require far less maintenance.
Depending on whether you already have outdoor cushions to upgrade, you can either buy new waterproof cushions or invest in removable waterproof cushion covers or slipcovers. There are so many colors and styles of waterproof cushions to choose from, and you can customize them to fit virtually any type of patio or poolside furniture!
5 Reasons to Invest in Waterproof Outdoor Cushions
Here are 5 reasons to choose waterproof cushion covers over other types of outdoor cushions:
1. Get more use and enjoyment out of your outdoor furniture. Waterproof outdoor cushions are much more weatherproof than regular cushions, so you can use them throughout the year rather than just in the summertime. With waterproof cushions, you also have more flexibility and control over where you can use them. You won’t have to worry about keeping them under cover or away from the sprinklers or pool.
2. Spend less time cleaning and worrying about maintenance. Waterproof cushion cover fabrics are easy to wipe down with a wet towel and are less likely to stain than other types of fabrics. If you invest in removable waterproof cushion covers, you can conveniently unzip them and throw them into the wash if they do get dirty. Overall, other types of outdoor cushion fabrics damage easily from harsh sunlight or wet weather and require much more regular cleaning and maintenance than waterproof ones.
3. Save money on replacement cushions. Waterproof outdoor cushions are much more durable than regular outdoor cushions, so they will last you a lot longer. That way, you won’t have to waste money on new replacement cushion covers season after season. Durable waterproof fabric will keep them looking clean and pristine, even after heavy use.
4. Reduce waste and help the environment. Bulky outdoor cushions shouldn’t end up in a landfill… that’s a LOT of unnecessary waste! Instead, spruce up your old outdoor cushions with waterproof slipcovers and they’ll look as good as new.
5. Change up your cushion covers whenever you want! With easy-to-remove waterproof cushion covers, you can easily switch up the look and feel of your outdoor furniture without having to buy new cushions every time. Choose from a wide selection of solid colors and fun prints and swap them out when you’re outdoor areas need some sprucing up.
What Are Outdoor Cushion Slipcovers?
Slipcovers for your outdoor furniture cushions are removable cushion covers that allow you to easily change up your patio décor or hide faded, mildewed, or otherwise damaged cushions, making them look brand-new.
Our outdoor cushion slipcovers are fade and mildew-resistant and machine-washable. This makes keeping them clean a breeze, even in wet weather!
“I am obsessed with these covers. They are easy to put on, sized perfectly, and beautiful. They came so fast and were the most affordable I had found anywhere.” – Lauren (5 Star Review)
Our Favorite Waterproof Patio Cushion Covers
If you go with waterproof cushion covers, you can still choose from a wide selection of fun prints and solid colors. Here are a few of our most popular styles to help get you inspired:
These Waterproof Pacific cushion covers are perfect for your poolside furniture. The solid vibrant turquoise color is reminiscent of the clear waters of the South Pacific and would look amazing next to a sparkling blue pool!
For something fun and tropical, consider a bold print like this Waterproof Tropical or Waterproof Multi-Stripe Lagoon. A lively print like these will make your outdoor spaces feel more cheerful, no matter how gloomy the weather may be.
If you’re looking for a pattern with some visual interest but prefer a more understated look, these Waterproof Tan Trellis cushion covers made of waterproof canvas are a great choice. They’re an instant classic!
For desert climates or landscapes with more warm, neutral colors, we love solid waterproof cushion covers like Waterproof Mocha or Waterproof Rust. You can even mix and match a few different solid colors to create visual interest and contrast.
Best Materials for Waterproof Outdoor Cushions
When shopping for waterproof cushion covers, we recommend looking for cushion covers made with high-quality waterproof canvas. Ours are made using top-rated TheOttertex® canvas printed oxford waterproof fabric, which is 600×600 denier and 100% polyester. Polyester is a tough, versatile, lightweight fabric that works very well outdoors. With a plastic PVC backing and waterproof coating, this fabric is even more durable and resilient than other polyester fabrics.
Waterproof canvas like ours also has impressive mold and UV-resistance qualities, providing your outdoor cushions with even more protection against the elements. It’s more flexible than other types of waterproof fabrics, yet equally effective. All in all, this is the perfect fabric for all kinds of outdoor use, especially for particularly rainy climates and poolside furniture!
How to Measure for Waterproof Outdoor Cushion Covers
If you’re ready to shop for waterproof outdoor cushion covers, but aren’t sure what size you need, just grab a measuring tape and follow these simple steps to get the width, depth, and height of your outdoor cushions:
– For width, measure from the right side of the cushion to the left in three different areas, the front, middle, and back of the cushion.
– To get the depth, or thickness, of your cushion, measure from the bottom to the top.
– Find the height of your cushion by measuring from top-to-bottom (for back cushions) or back to front (for seat cushions).
“These are great! Our cushions are stained but otherwise perfectly good, and I hated the idea of throwing them away. I’m very happy with these washable covers. Excellent customer service and quick shipping. Thanks!” – Kristen (5-Star Review)
How to Protect Your Waterproof Outdoor Seat Cushions
Even though waterproof outdoor cushions require much less maintenance compared to other types of outdoor cushions, there are still some things you can do to protect your investment and keep them in perfect condition throughout the year.
Here are a few waterproof cushion maintenance tips:
– Clean your waterproof outdoor cushions regularly to keep them as water-resistant as possible. Even durable Ottertex® fabrics can become less resistant over time with over-exposure to mold. Luckily, cleaning these waterproof fabrics is easy! Simply spray with a mild cleaning solution, wipe or brush the fabric clean, rinse with water, and then allow the fabric to fully air dry.
– Avoid excessive sun exposure to keep vibrant colors from fading over time. Even though Ottertex® Waterproof Canvas fabric is highly UV-resistant, some colors will eventually begin to fade after approximately 500 hours of harsh sun exposure. Natural colors such as ivory, beige, or khaki are much less likely to fade compared to brighter colors.
– Keep waterproof cushions away from non-mold and mildew-resistant fabrics, as exposure to materials that already contain mold and mildew can spread. Fortunately, waterproof cushions with slight mold or mildew can be easily washed off and treated to prevent the problem from getting worse.
“These cushions are great! Superb craftsmanship and just what I needed for our outdoor couch. They are made of a great durable canvas type fabric so they will last a long time. I appreciated the sellers attention to detail and communications.” – Alix G (5-Star Review)
Outdoor Furniture with Waterproof Cushions
Conveniently, our waterproof cushion covers can be custom-made to fit virtually any type of outdoor furniture to protect your cushions from the elements. However, some types of outdoor furniture and furniture finishes will hold up better in wet conditions than others. Let’s take a closer look at your furniture finish options…
Best Outdoor Furniture Finishes
When shopping for outdoor furniture, choose water-friendly finishes. Your climate determines which finish works best.
– If you live in a coastal area where salty air agrees with you but not your patio furniture, choose marine-grade polymer tables and chairs.
– Resin wicker creates a cozy, vintage look and wears well in wet conditions.
– Aluminum is durable and rust-resistant but certain types are lightweight and may blow over easily in windy conditions.
– Cast aluminum wins for stability in rough weather.
– Wood, although beautiful and strong, needs more TLC than other finishes in rainy climates.
No matter which furniture finish you choose, you can make each piece your own with our protective waterproof cushion covers!
Wood You Like a Chair?
Because it’s so common, let’s talk for a minute about wood patio furniture. Wood furniture makes a statement. It’s both rugged and stunning. But since it’s biodegradable, it’s also more prone to rot than other outdoor furniture materials. To avoid this, look for pieces made of treated lumber. Or choose specific types of wood that are more resistant to rot, such as redwood, cedar, or teak.
However, even rot-resistant woods don’t last forever and need some love. Waterproofing wood patio furniture means sealing it completely before applying any finish. Then you can either paint or varnish. If you go this route, plan on re-coating every year to keep it looking fresh. Wood, unlike polymer and aluminum, doesn’t withstand perpetual water and hates sitting in a puddle, so it’s best to move it out of the rain or cover it up completely during the rainy season.
Waterproof Outdoor Pillows to Liven Up a Patio
To top off your outdoor furniture and waterproof outdoor cushions, why not add a few decorative waterproof pillows? This will help liven up your outdoor seating areas and make them more comfortable and inviting. We can make pillows of any shape, size, or style to match your waterproof cushions or add some interesting contrast to the setting.
If you are going to invest in waterproof cushions, be sure to only use waterproof pillows! This is because non-waterproof pillow fabric can develop mold and mildew that will eventually spread to the waterproof cushions and make them less and less waterproof.
Waterproof Outdoor Cushions from Fig Leaf!
Ready to create a backyard oasis with our long-lasting waterproof cushion covers? Shop our wide selection of waterproof cushion covers, including classic solid colors and exciting prints. We love helping our clients transform their outdoor spaces, so please feel free to reach out to us with any questions!
“I am so pleased with the quality and fit of the cushion covers I ordered. They make my chair look beautiful and were beyond my expectations. It’s so refreshing to purchase a product that actually does what the ad says it will do. I highly recommend them.” – 5-Star Review